The network system is a significant element in an office space. It allows employees to use and connect their devices. Cabling and network infrastructure are the most important elements of a network. Data cabling is the network of cables that allow you to connect two or more network devices. The cables are usually concealed with walls. Other elements of a network are routers and switches. While they are important, they are not at the same level as data cables because they can be exchanged easily. Changing data cables and infrastructure is a complex process with numerous challenges. In this era where technology is at the forefront of every business operation, the importance of network cabling in an office setup is clear.
Things an office manager should know
As an office manager, you must understand all the elements supporting the efficient running of a business. This includes the small elements like office Wi-Fi and office cabling. Below are some things a data manager should know about advanced data cabling.
Structured cabling is the ideal solution for offices
A structured cabling system in an office space can eliminate the challenges of having to follow lose wires around the office. It also allows IT support teams or departments to easily identify problems in the data center and resolve them quickly. Structured cabling is also an ideal solution for offices because it is customizable. This means that the cabling solution can be tailored according to your office needs. Structured cabling also increases efficiency in the office thanks to versatile solutions. It ensures manageability in the information technology infrastructure. Structured cabling also allows flexibility in business operations. Understanding this information will help you make the best cabling choices for offices.
Components of office network cabling
The elements of an office network cabling system differ depending on the type of cabling system. Structured cabling is the most popular office network cabling solution. It features the following six components.
- The entrance facilities- these are the facilities going into the office structure from a local service carrier or private network provider. They go through an opening in the wall from the outside to areas where the devices are deployed.
- Equipment room- this is where the cables connect the wiring structure inside the building. The equipment room hosts other elements of a network system like the switches and servers. It is usually temperature and environmentally controlled.
- Backbone cabling- this component is usually installed in risers connecting to the floor and links to carrier spaces
- Telecommunications room- this is an environmentally controlled place in the office building used as a utility room for the network system. It hosts cables, hardware elements, and various components of the system.
- Horizontal cabling- these are office resources running from work devices to the nearest telecommunications room.
- Work area- this is the area between the connector to the devices where a cable is applied. It is the final destination of a cabling system and the one that comes to direct contact with office employees.
As an office manager, understanding the information above helps you understand how the cabling system in your office works. This information can come in handy when facilitating maintenance and repairs in the cabling network.
Types of network cabling solutions
There are numerous types of network cabling solutions you can employ in your offices. As an office manager, one of your responsibilities is providing employees with all the elements they need to be productive. This includes picking and facilitating the installation of a good network cabling solution. Understanding the range of options will help you make the best choice. The most common options are optical fiber cabling, twisted pair, coaxial lines, patch cables, and ethernet crossover cables for Wi-Fi installation. The choice you make regarding the cables should be guided by a professional. A professional will help you analyze your office needs and pick the best choice. They will also help with the installation or implementation process.
The network cabling, Wi-Fi and CCTV installation market is one of the fastest growing markets in the current industrial age. Companies depend on network cabling for CCTV and Wi-Fi installation among other applications. You can check out a data cabling blog if you need more information on the topic.