Do you know what thing disturbs the patient who visits the emergency room or who is admitted to the hospital? The most disturbing thing for patients is waiting for the doctors. It has been researched that the average hospital emergency department (ED) patient in the United States has to wait for 50 minutes with broken bones or severe emergency needs before receiving any pain injection or medication. Further, it takes 1 to 2 hours before taking them to their rooms and takes 2 to 3 hours before being discharged from the hospital.
One more common complaint among the majority of patients is that, while being admitted to the hospitals their doctors visit them just once or twice a day for 10 to 12 minutes. This thing does not satisfy the patient as they expect that doctor should be present in the hospital for long hours. Whenever patients find a need, they can approach the doctor. For example, patient test reports are pending and the doctor says that he will check the reports and If they came out normal then he will allow the patient to discharge. Now before the reports arrive, the doctor has left the hospital. In this case, the patient has to wait for another day.
Therefore, for the satisfaction of patients health care systems are employing hospitalists group. More than 50 thousand hospitalists are working in hospitals. They are the fastest-growing specialists in hospital medicine who are providing quality care to their patients and ensuring that their patients get discharged on time with good health.
Reasons Why Health Care Systems Should Hire Hospitalists
It has become hard for hospitals to provide quality care at reasonable rates. But healthcare organizations can manage to provide the best care at a low cost with the help of hospitalists. The hospitalists group are experts in handling all the sections of healthcare systems along with accommodating the hospitals with 200 beds. No doubt, hiring hospitalists can benefit them in many ways. Here are some:
- Hospitalists bring financial value to healthcare systems. They embrace the concept of value with this equation (value=quality/cost).
- Hospitalists look after all the sections of hospitals including emergency departments, blood banks and other tests, cesarean suits and postoperative fields. They work to bridge the gaps within healthcare systems.
- Hospitalists group continue their research work along with teaching. This makes them more professional and experienced.
- Hospitalists remain alert in the emergency rooms. They immediately provide first aid to the patients who visit while being in pain along with broken bones.
- Hospitalists also look after cardiac patients. They immediately provide them oxygen and check their ECG so further steps can be taken asap.
- The best thing is they order the appropriate tests for the patients related to the issue. They don’t intend to make the patients worried or patients spend more money. Because many people ignore visiting the hospitals due to higher expenses.
- Hospitalists do check the test reports of the patients and if they find any need to change the medication. They do change it and don’t wait for the physician to come. As they are experts in health medicines and what matters the most is the patient’s health.
- The external physicians do visit the hospitals in the morning and then they meet their patients, check their progress reports, do some recommendations and disappear till the next day. On the contrary, the hospitalists stay in the hospital for long hours and they keep their eyes on the patients.
- They try to satisfy the inpatients whenever they ask for something or whenever they need help. Hospitalists make a good relationship with the patients and believe in the reduction of patients’ stay in the hospital.
In short, hospitalists have improved the patients’ quality of care. The patients get the consultation faster than before, they get tested faster and results come immediately. The hospitalists check the reports and if they find everything is normal then patients get discharged immediately even at night. Furthermore, hospitalists keep a record of everything and open the room for improvement.
Hospitalists are facilitating the hospitals in a better way. They have cooperated to reduce the overtreatments in the hospitals means their priority is to discharge the patient within 3 days. Hospitalists group have helped the healthcare systems in improving their quality with decreasing costs. Not just that but in one of the studies, it has been confirmed that patient satisfaction is associated with hospitalists as they are experts in dealing with patients and have great communication skills. They help inpatients in several ways. Most importantly they guide the patient regarding their health and let them know what treatment they are getting. The hospitalists keep checking whether the patients are recovering or not. Therefore, health care systems should hire hospitalists for the betterment of their patients as well as their hospitals.